Candidates for admission to the program must have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. In addition, all students are expected to meet the minimal admission requirements of the University of Florida’s Graduate School, which include
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college
- Submission of GRE results
- Junior-senior undergraduate level grade point average of 3.0
- A completed application for Graduate School, including a statement of purpose, official transcripts, completed application form, and three letters of recommendation
International students whose primary language is not English will have to demonstrate a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based, 213 on the computer-based, or 80 on the web-based version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Applicants will be expected to have taken the following coursework: Calculus III, a linear algebra course, and an introductory statistics course.
The application deadline is March 15 for acceptance of Fall applicants.
Application Process and Checklist
You must apply to and be accepted by BOTH the Graduate School at the University of Florida and the master’s program in Biostatistics. Applying through the Graduate School’s online application portal, however, is the only application that needs to be completed. (We do not require a SOPHAS application or submission of other materials to the department outside the online application.) The application deadline is March 15 for acceptance of Fall applicants. We only admit new students in the Fall terms.
Application to Graduate School at University of Florida
See the Graduate School’s application page for detailed information on applying to Graduate School.
The mailing address of the Graduate School is:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Florida
P.O. Box 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
- Complete the application form online at Graduate School Online Application Portal, and pay the $30US application fee. Other required materials (transcripts/GRE scores) should be sent to the address listed above. (Current and former University of Florida students are no longer exempt from this application fee; the $30US application fee is required from all students applying to a graduate program.) Note: If you are already or have been a UF graduate student within the last two terms, the application process is different than outlined below. Please contact Malayshia King (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further directions before applying if either of these situations apply to you.
- Select “Main Campus-Gainesville” as Location, Under College/School, specify Program of Study as College of Public Health and Health Professions, then choose “Master of Science” in Biostatistics.
Note: Please choose one of two concentrations from the dropdown menu. For more information about our available concentrations, please visit: http://biostat.ufl.edu/education/ms-in-biostatistics/ms-curriculum-overview/.
- Arrange to have official transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida) sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions (address above.) Please aim to have these transcripts delivered by the application deadline. Uploading unofficial transcripts within the application system is also highly recommended. If you are unable to submit the official transcripts by the deadline, please be sure to upload or provide unofficial copies of previous transcripts via the online application portal so the departmental admissions committee has these for evaluation purposes. Failure to provide transcripts either official or unofficial will result in a delay in application review and could result in denial to the program due to an incomplete application.
- Arrange to have official GRE test scores sent directly to University of Florida Office of Admissions (Please use code – 5812.) Please DO NOT send these transcripts directly to the department.
- Arrange to have official TOEFL scores sent to address above (International students only, please use code – 5812.) Please DO NOT send these scores directly to the department.
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 page explanation of your career goals and why you wish to earn the master’s degree at the University of Florida; you may exceed the 500 word maximum mentioned in the online application portal). Please upload this into the application portal.
- Three letters of reference that attest to your accomplishments and academic potential. Can be sent either via the online application portal (preferred) or directly to the department by the recommender.
Miscellaneous Documents submitted through the online application portal or directly to the Department of Biostatistics (via Malayshia King email@example.com):
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida)
- Current résumé
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.