How to Submit a Media Project via YouTube
Some courses have assignments that require the production of media to communicate an effective message. Here are some basic guidelines for submitting a media project via YouTube.
Creating your video
Be sure to review your syllabus for complete project requirements and follow them carefully before beginning your video. There are several ways to create a video for upload to YouTube, here are a couple of the most common:
- You may record yourself using any type of video recorder: webcam, smart phone, camcorder, etc.
- You may (depending on the project description found in your syllabus) record your voice over a PowerPoint Presentation and then save the presentation as a Windows Media Movie.
- Here is a link to a helpful Microsoft support page for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Turn-your-presentation-into-a-video-C140551F-CB37-4818-B5D4-3E30815C3E83
- Here is a link to helpful Microsoft support for Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 and PowerPoint 2016: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Save-your-presentation-as-a-video-FAFB9713-14CD-4013-BCC7-0879E6B7E6CE
- NOTE: This feature is NOT currently available in Microsoft Office 2016 for MAC. Consider a trial of Camtasia or another screen capture product if you are MAC user.
The quality of your video must at least be good enough for everyone to see you clearly and hear you clearly. Some tips to help with this are:
- Make a story board and/or a script before you start capturing the video.
- Record a practice session to test that you have proper lighting and good video and audio quality. Review this practice video and make corrections before making your final recording to upload.
- Give yourself time for technical problems. Don’t wait until the last minute to start.
Once you have your final video made, you will need to make sure it is saved to your computer or external drive in a file format accepted by YouTube.
Using YouTube to upload and edit your video
Here are step-by-step instructions for how to upload and edit your video:
- Go to http://youtube.com
- Click on “Log in” in the upper right corner of the site
- If you already have an account, log in.
- If you do not have an account, click on “Create an Account” after clicking on the “Log in” button and complete the form.
- Now that you have a YouTube account and can log in.
- At the top of the page is a “UPLOAD” link; click it and browse to your video file.
- Upload it.
- On the upload page you will find several tools to make edits in your video.
- Play with these tools to edit your video any way you like
- Go to your video settings and make it an “unlisted” video
- Be sure that you have completed all edits and settings BEFORE publishing the video.