How to Apply: PhD Program
You must apply to and be accepted by BOTH the Graduate School at the University of Florida and the PhD Program in Biostatistics. Applying through the Graduate School’s online application portal, however, is the only application that needs to be completed. (We do not require a SOPHAS application or submission of other materials to the department outside the online application.) Application deadline will be December 15 for acceptance of Fall applicants.
Completion of a master’s degree is not required for application to the PhD program. Completion of a bachelor’s degree is sufficient.
College of Public Health and Health Professions Typical Quantitative Standard for PhD Graduate Admission
In keeping with the University’s goal to become a top 10 university and given our position as a Research One Institution, the College has set minimum quantitative standards we typically expect for admission consideration to our PhD programs. These include the following:
GRE (Verbal + Quantitative) >300
GRE Writing Score >3.0 with at least 150 GRE Verbal, or >3.5 if GRE Verbal <150
GPA >3.0 for the last 60 hours of undergraduate credit (based on a 4.0 grading scale)
TOEFL (if applicable) >80 on the internet version; >550 on the paper version
*Please note that quantitative performance above these thresholds does not guarantee admission. Each graduate program in the college reviews an individual’s overall application packet in determining whether to offer admission.
Application to Graduate School at University of Florida
See http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/ for detailed information on applying to Graduate School.
The mailing address of the Graduate School is:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Florida
P.O. Box 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
- Submit application form for admission to Graduate School, along with $30US. nonrefundable application fee. Or, you may complete the application form online at Graduate School Online Application Portal, but you still must send the $30US application fee and the other required materials to the address listed above. (Current and former University of Florida students are no longer exempt from this application fee; the $30US application fee is required from all students applying to a graduate program.) Note: If you are already or have ever been a UF graduate student, the application process is different than outlined below. Please contact Kristen Cason (email@example.com) for information if this applies to you.
- Under College/School, specify College of Public Health and Health Professions
- Arrange to have official transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida) sent to the address above.
- Arrange to have official GRE or GMAT test scores sent directly to University of Florida.
- Arrange to have official TOEFL scores sent to address above (International students only).
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 page explanation of your career goals and why you wish to earn the PhD degree at the University of Florida).
- Three letters of reference that attest to your accomplishments and academic potential. Can be send either via on-line application or directly to the department.
Miscellaneous Documents submit on-line or directly to the Department of Biostatistics
- Copies of transcripts from each previous institution attended (other than University of Florida).
- Current résumé.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org